Tuesday, March 14, 2006

s3e09: Review

s3e09-01 - Don't Do That

Helena & Dylan are eating out with Helena's kids at Chaya Brasserie. Dylan gets her wish from episode 7 when she talked to them on the webcam in Helena's office ("I can't wait to meet you guys"). First there's some small talk with the kids about the time they got up in New York (which is 3 hours ahead of LA), and how there's no point in them switching from East Coast time because they have to go back to New York with their Nanny after they've been swimming. Helena's daughter asks "Mummy, can Dylan come to our swimming lesson with us?", and Helena sweetly replies "Pumpkin, Dylan can come anywhere she wants with us". Dylan looks lovingly at Helena for a second, but her expression soon changes when Helena grabs her shoulder and adds "anywhere in the world". Dylan tells Helena: "Don't do that". To which Helena replies "What?", and Dylan adds: "Nothing it's just..." After everything that happened in episode 8, Helena is rightly perplexed and replies "Well, the kids are fine with it". Dylan tries to provide Helena with the reason for her discomfort by adding "But we're in public... and I'm not." Clearly Dylan is feeling ill at ease for an altogether different reason than just because Helena touched her on the shoulder in a restaurant. After all, they held hands in public in episode 8 and shoulder touching is hardly in the same league. Hell, even str8 people do it.

s3e09-02 - Tell Me You Want It

Helena is sitting across from Dylan in Dylan's editing room as Dylan films her. The music is weird, much like the look on Dylan's face and the way she is acting with Helena. Episode 8 seems like a dim and distant memory now. Dylan zooms in to get a close-up of Helena's eyes and then her mouth, explaining her filming technique as she films Helena (oh how I wish she was showing her some other kind of technique, like in episode 8!) Two monitors on the desk show Helena exactly what Dylan is filming. As Dylan zooms in closer, Helena gets more and more uncomfortable, and Dylan's expression changes momentarily from that detached look she's been sporting to something else entirely. She tells Helena "God, you're so beautiful", which I found kind of ironic as Alexandra protests in interviews that Rachel is so beautiful, it's unfair to have to share screen time with her. In actual fact I have to agree with Dylan on this occasion, yes I can appreciate Rachel's beauty but my goodness she looks really hot in this scene. I've met Rachel and I didn't go weak at the knees but I surely would have done if she looked like this, believe me. It must be something to do with her hair, which is pulled back into a pony tail and is very straight (I prefer str8 hair, even on str8 women).

Dylan's declaration causes a flicker of a smile from Helena, but she still looks very uncomfortable as Dylan films her in close-up. Dylan asks her to "Say something to the camera" and Helena looks around and asks "Where did you say Danny was?” Dylan quickly replies "He's in Minneapolis shooting". Helena doesn't think to ask if he's working on the new Prince video, she's got more important things on her mind. Instead she questions Dylan about whether she told him (as she said she was going to in episode 8), but Dylan will not confirm this. "I don't want to talk about Danny. Can we talk about something else?” Helena suddenly gets that look in her eye and asks Dylan in a rather flirtatious tone "What do you want to talk about?” Dylan tries to steer the conversation towards business but Helena leans closer, strokes Dylan's leg and asks her "How can I talk about our project, when I want you to fuck me so badly?” (Helena hasn't forgotten what Dylan did to her in episode 8 anymore than I have). Dylan has got that odd, uncomfortable look back on her face and retorts "So you're saying that I have to fuck you before we can talk business?" Helena follows where Dylan is going (no doubt thinking Dylan is into role playing) and gives a kind of strangled "Uh-huh" in response. Dylan then demands of Helena "You're going to have to tell me what you want". Helena suddenly switches into that old predatory persona from season 2 and tells Dylan to "Give me the camera". But Dylan, although looking rather pleased with herself for eliciting such a reaction in Helena, is not going to make it that easy and replies "No". Helena is not playing ball though, she wants to remain in control and forcefully demands Dylan "Give it to me." (And who could blame her after Dylan did just that so masterfully in episode 8?). Dylan complies and now that she's the one being filmed she looks rather uncomfortable as she tries and fails to get comfortable on the chair. Helena tells her to take her shirt off, and again Dylan waits until Helena asks a second time before complying. Actually it's not a shirt, it's a round neck top and it's far too girly and it doesn't really suit Alexandra. Next Helena tells Dylan to "Unbutton your jeans", but this time when Dylan does not comply immediately, Helena gets impatient. She decides to take control of the situation herself and puts the camera down on the table across from Dylan. Dylan looks pleased at the way things are going then almost a little scared when Helena kicks her legs apart, then kneels down between them and tells her "You're not going to get anything from me, unless you do exactly what I tell you. You're going to fuck me and you're going to love every second of it." Dylan is breathing heavily as Helena runs her hand up Dylan's stomach and demands "Tell me you want it." By the expression on her face Dylan wants to say yes, but instead she replies "No". Helena demands an answer, "Tell me". Dylan replies "I can't", which seems strange when you watch this scene for the first time. Why can't she tell Helena that she wants it, because clearly she does? (All will be revealed in scenes 3 and 4.) Helena places her hand on Dylan's shoulder and pulls her bra strap down, revealing her breast which Helena caresses causing Dylan to sigh and close her eyes. Helena lowers her mouth to Dylan's breast before breaking away momentarily to kiss Dylan. Then some inconsiderate person yelled 'Cut', and that's all there is to see. Apparently someone somewhere thinks that the viewers would prefer to see Tina humping a guy up against her and Bette's bedroom door.

This scene needs to be watched over and over again. I'm not just saying that because I have been so diligent in my research but really it should because there is so much going on that it is impossible to get it all in one viewing, or anything less than 10 really. There are so many things to look at, because the monitors often show you things that you can't see in the scene itself. Believe me it's true, honest! Despite the foreshadowing of things to come, and Dylan's odd behaviour, I do rather like this scene, even if it should be much longer.

s3e09-03 - I Believe in You

Dylan follows Helena up the steps to exit her apartment.

Helena: "So I'll call you later. I just have this meeting with my business manager"
Dylan: "On a Sunday night?"
Helena: "Yeah well, I'm thinking of investing some of my own money. The studio won't put up any more but you know how much I believe in this project.... and in you."

Under different circumstances Dylan would have been elated at Helena's belief in her, but a sad, guilty look crosses her face as she kisses Helena goodbye. Noticing Dylan's strange look, Helena asks her what's wrong but Dylan replies "Nothing, nothing. I'll talk to you later." She kisses Helena again and shuts the door behind her, once Helena has gone. Dylan turns, sits on the stairs with her face in her hands and starts to cry. Seconds later, a door opens, the music gets even more ominous and Danny steps out. He asks her what happened and she says "I think I got it". He then queries her "You think?" and she confirms "I got it". He looks pleased (bastard!) but she looks distraught. Dylan then gets up and leaves the room through the door the same door that Danny entered.

s3e09-04 - Are you Helena Peabody?

Helena is walking on the beach, trying to reach Dylan on the phone again but she's not picking up, so she leaves a message for her instead. A man approaches and asks "Are you Helena Peabody?" Helena replies "Yes", and he gives her some papers "This is for you from Ms Dylan Moreland". Helena is puzzled, asks what's in the envelope and the man says "Have a nice day" and walks off. Inside the envelope Helena pulls out a subpoena for sexual harassment. When she realises what they contain she says "Oh my God". A quick glance at the papers reveals that somebody forgot to proof read them; they name a 'Helena F. Carol Moreland', which is a nice combo of Helena F. Peabody and Dylan Carol Moreland.

I had assumed this scene took place later on Sunday evening, as Helena said she would call and maybe they could get together. However, having read the synopsis over at David Hedison's site it says that the papers are served on Monday morning, which does make more sense. However, I've just watched the scene again and Helena is wearing the same clothes as in scenes 2 & 3. I can't imagine that she's been walking on the beach all night in the same clothes, so I guess I was right after all.

I'm annoyed; first of all because I knew this was going to happen. Yes, the preview for this episode ruined the suspense by showing a clip of Helena being served the sexual harassment papers. I can't honestly say I wouldn't have got curious and read the spoilers but that's up to me really. What is the point in being so heavy-handed in the previews? They could have just given a taste of the 'You know you want it' scene but no they had to go and ruin it.

That annoyance is however nothing compared to my feelings of distaste about the direction this storyline is taking. I knew the joy of episode 8 couldn't last, and I said as much when I reviewed it, but really there had better be a damn good reason why Dylan is doing this. Not that there is a reason in the world that should have made her betray Helena in such a horrible manner but I'm open to having my mind changed on that subject if Dylan can just redeem herself before the end of season 3, and be back for more in season 4 (I can dream can't I?) Yes, I know that's a tall order.

Everything is going pear-shaped in season 3; there's not a happy couple left and for that reason episode 9 was very difficult to watch. After I watched it I went online to find out what other people were saying, and was greeted with feelings similar to my own. I don't usually like to do that, preferring to remain cocooned until I have written about it myself, but I was so distraught I felt compelled to. It's at times like these that I try in vain to tell myself that it's just a television programme but it's not is it? The L Word is oh so much more than that just something to watch on television.

Goodness, I think I need to watch episode 9 again when I'm feeling a bit more objective. I have been holding L Word screenings with friends and we watched episodes 3-5 last Friday. I realized again just how damn good this season has been, despite my recent misgivings, with the exception of the annoyances that have been Billie Blakie (Alan Cumming) and Max/Moira (Daniela Sea).

Comments on "s3e09: Review"

 

post a comment